Learn how to free yourself from anxieties with these 8 easy steps
Updated: Nov 14, 2018
Anxiety is real. When you feel yourself getting anxious, use some of these steps below to help calm and recenter. Every single one of these may not work so choose one or two that would be best for you and implement.
1. Move- Movement can alleviate stress and release endorphins that help anxieties pass. Excuse yourself, if possible, and go for a walk outside to clear your head.
2. Sleep- If you struggle with anxiety, sleep is a crucial part of your control over anxieties. A well rested mind will be able to calm and recenter more efficiently. Do what works best for you before you go to sleep.
- No electronics at least 20 minutes before you're planning to lay your head down.
- Take a warm shower or lay with a heating pad to relax your muscles. - Stretch before you get into bed.
- Use lavender oil on the bottoms of your feet before you get into bed.
- Read a book to get your eyes moving and tired out.
3. Watch the caffeine- Caffeine is meant to wake us up and give us a jolt of energy we sometimes need. This can actually cause anxiety in some. Be aware of the affect caffeine has on your body and cut it out completely if you're able.
4. Deep breathing- Get yourself to a place where you can take a break and breath. In for a count of 4 and out for a count of 6. Repeat 6 times and you should be able to feel your body relax.
5. Practice meditation- Either making time to quiet yourself, listen to a guided meditation on YouTube or attend a meditation class. This is not something that comes natural to most so don't get discouraged. Meditation is something you can build on and elongate as you practice it more and more.
6. Treat yourself- Self-care is so important. Get a massage, take a nap or go for a walk. The actions around any of these will help you to feel more like you and focus less about what anxieties may trouble you.
7. Watch Spending- Money can b e the cause of many people's anxieties. If this is a cause for you, take an inventory of what you're spending your hard earned money on and ask yourself if it brings you joy to spend money on that or anxiety. If it's the latter, make the change now and stop spending on that.
8. Declutter- Minimalism is a way of life, but not for most of us, right? Start small and work your way up to a simpler life. Pick a place to start, like a cabinet or small closet. Or as you walk around the house, pull items you no longer use and start a donate, trash or sell pile.